Wednesday 3 July 2024

Cockpit Tent - A Real One!

I have done several overnight and multi-night trips in my little Scamp and with each one I improve my setup.
I started with a fairly crude boom tent that I was never happy with and always had in mind to make a better fitting and functioning one.  




I priced out the Sunbrella fabric, asked Lisa if she could give me a hand with the sewing and fabricated a couple of three piece supports that would be mounted in the existing and a second set (further aft) oarlock mounts.  The extended boat hook would become the ridge pole.   It was not a bad idea but It just wasn't catching me so I ditched the project.

I had four of these little brackets welded up to allow the tent frame to be mounted into the oar locks

Frames in place and boat hook ridgepole in place



Remembering that Jean-Francois had a great little cockpit tent of his own design and fabrication on our Desolation Sound cruise last year and that he had mentioned that he would like to get into the business of selling these, I reached out.   Jean-Francois was happy to help me out and excited for his first sale.  He had learned tons on his first model and keen to do another one.   We picked out the Sunbrella fabric and trim colours and he went to work.

In late June Jean-Francois drove down from his home in Nelson  to our place and brought his Scamp along for fun.  We spent a morning carefully measuring, installing and photographing the tent installation and because of the standard dimensions of Scamps it fit perfectly.

The tent spread out on the floor with Benny checking quality control (he passed it).

Jean-Francois installing the stainless steel snap mounts

All fitted - Time to try it out!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Oar Stowage

 I have a pair of two piece, fibreglass, Sawyer oar for auxiliary propulsion (along with a telescopic paddle, 2.3 hp Honda motor, sail).  I ...